Ten Tiny Breaths - K.A. Tucker 4.4/5 stars

“There’s no excuse. Only terrible consequences that people have to live with for the rest of their lives when they make one stupid decision.”

In my opinion, that's what [b:Ten Tiny Breaths|15990969|Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1)|K.A. Tucker|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346918160s/15990969.jpg|21747190] comes down to. One stupid decision and its awful consequences. And how, from something completely shattered and horrible, something gorgeous and whole can emerge.

Kacey lost her parents, best friend, and boyfriend in a drunk driving accident. She and her sister, Livie, move in with their aunt and uncle but when the uncle nearly assaults Livie, they run away to Miami and rent an apartment. There, Kacey truly comes to term with her past and learns to move on with the help of her sister and two neighbors, Trent and Storm.
“Just breathe, Kacey. Ten tiny breaths. Seize them. Feel them. Love them.”

The writing is simple and gorgeous, without any excessive details. [b:Ten Tiny Breaths|15990969|Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1)|K.A. Tucker|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346918160s/15990969.jpg|21747190] is just the right length, not too long but not overly short either and with a great epilogue to boot, which wraps up Kacey's story nicely but still leaves plenty of room for Livie's. I have absolutely no complaints about the pacing of the book, everything worked for me.

The sizzling hot chemistry between Trent and Kacey is apparent from the get-go. I love how they're crazy attracted to each other from the beginning but still go through all the natural stages in a stable relationship, fighting off demons from their pasts and getting to know one another properly, before sealing the deal.
“Forever’s a long time.”
Trent’s arms squeeze around me. “Forever’s not long enough when it’s with you.”

The character development is just amazing. I think everyone goes through it to some extent, from the main characters (Kacey and Trent), to the side characters (Storm and Livie), to even the minor ones like Tanner and Carter.
“You hate me, don’t you? You must hate me. I can’t help it. I’m broken.”
Trent squeezes me close to him. “I don’t hate you. I could never hate you. Give me your heart, Kacey. I’ll take everything that comes with it.”
I start to cry. Uncontrollably, for the first time in four years.

If I were to describe [b:Ten Tiny Breaths|15990969|Ten Tiny Breaths (Ten Tiny Breaths, #1)|K.A. Tucker|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346918160s/15990969.jpg|21747190] in one word, it'd be forgiveness. Ultimately, that's what this book is all about, forgiving and being forgiven. If the gorgeous cover hasn't convinced you yet, I'd recommend this book for the message alone.

Extra:

After reading the book, be sure to check out the mirror scene from Trent's POV here.

For more reviews, visit my blog: