A Kiss at Midnight - Eloisa James First half - 1 star
Second half - 5 stars

Seeing as it's a historical retelling of Cinderella, I was pretty excited about reading A Kiss at Midnight. It'd been a while since I'd read a good forbidden romance themed novel, but the beginning was dull enough that I was certain this one wasn't going to change that. Thankfully, the story became absolutely magical during the last hundred pages and saved this from being a complete disappointment.

A Kiss at Midnight is my first read by Eloisa James and I'm disappointed to say that the writing was altogether lackluster and the story wasn't as interesting as it could have easily been. In addition, the chapters' endings were extremely abrupt and I found myself re-reading them several times before convincing myself that I hadn't missed anything important. This made me feel rather disconcerted throughout the book.

Gabriel was absolutely wonderful, but Kate's personality didn't impress me at all. The side characters, however, were well-rounded and lovable (especially Henry and Wick) and made the story much more lively than it would've been otherwise.

The ending was fantastic and everything I'd initially expected from the novel. Unfortunately, it took such a long time to get there that it did little to change my overall impression.

To sum it up, A Kiss at Midnight was a boring and entirely forgettable story, which could have been a lot better if not for the slow beginning and Kate's dull personality. The next book (When Beauty Tamed the Beast) is a retelling of my favorite fairy tale though, so I'm pretty sure I'll be continuing with the series.

For more reviews, visit my blog: