Obsidian (Lux, #1) - Jennifer L. Armentrout 2.75/5 stars

I always hope the hype surrounding a book is true, or at least, well-deserved. In this case, it isn't.

Katy's moved to a new town for senior year after her father's death. She's never been the newbie before and has no idea how to fit in. Enter Dee. As cute and energetic as her name suggests, Dee becomes fast friends with Katy. But close contact with Katy naturally results in close contact with her older brother, Daemon, and he hates Katy at first sight or so he pretends, but we all know better, don't we?.

Daemon's character is as cliched as his name. He is a big fat JERK and, despite popular belief, his good looks don't even begin to make up for it. Just because the guy's hot doesn't mean you let him get away with treating you like crap, which is what Katy did. I think this, more than anything else, is what I held against Katy till the very end.

Granted, Katy does try to stand up for herself, but it's such a weak attempt that it fails to induce anything but pity. A girl comes up to her, puts her down in front of everyone, and the best she can come up with is, "Why do you hate me?" The asshole next door insulted her passion for gardening and all she could say in reply was, "Excuse me?" For real?

There were a few moments when I thought maybe Katy had finally grown a spine and learned to stand up for herself, but the followup would be so pathetic that it'd immediately kill all the warm fuzzies I was beginning to develop for her.

Like many reviews before mine have mentioned, there are A LOT of Twilight cliches in here. They are so obvious, spotting them is almost fun, like "Hey, let's see how many similarities you can find. So far, I've got ten!"
1. Katy/Bella moves to a new town at the beginning of the school year.
2. Daemon/Edward's sister is annoying perky and best friends with Katy/Bella.
3. Most of Katy/Bella and Daemon/Edward's "cute" scenes take place in the classroom.
4. Katy/Bella is a pale brunette with absolutely nothing special about her.
5. All of the aliens/vampires have their own little clique that everyone admires from afar but never approaches.
6. A dance scene. Of course.
7. Daemon/Edward is Mr. Perfect and everyone loves him.
8. Daemon/Edward tries his best to stay away from Katy/Bella for her own good but there's just "something" about her that makes her irresistible.
9. Daemon spies on his sister while she's asleep. I'm unsure whether that's more creepy than Edward watching Bella sleep.
10. Katy/Bella doesn't freak out at all at the discovery of Daemon/Edward's otherness, because superhumans in your little town isn't the least bit worrying. (Thanks to Honour for spotting this one.)

BUT. I actually enjoyed reading this. Yes, there are a lot of cliches, but this is a far better version of all those YA rehashes than most. I had a couple of moments where I liked Katy and about a couple more where I genuinely felt Daemon's appeal. Those extras from Daemon's POV also went a long way in improving my opinion of him.

And hey, it's about aliens, not vampires or werewolves. That alone deserves a bonus point or three.

*Buddy read with Sarah! You can read her thoughts here.*

For more reviews, visit my blog.