Hard Bitten - Chloe Neill Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Overall: I've always read books to escape from my reality, and sometimes, to escape from another book's reality. With the way Twice Bitten ended, I'm gonna have to do precisely the latter to keep from going insane till Drink Deep comes out. And despite the ending, I'm surprisingly devoid of anger. I guess I'mma trust Neill to know what she's doing with her characters and our hearts.

Characters: What to say without breaking down into sobs?? Basically, these characters are so real that after finishing this book, I stayed awake for the better half of the night just thinking about everything that happened and crying inside over the ending. I've finally come to see why Ethan is so popular, because he was so much more real in this book, and a far cry from the stuck-up guy he was at the beginning. And I adore Merit. Their relationship flows so smoothly and I love how hard Ethan tried to earn her trust again.

Of course, the side characters are amazing enough to earn a mention: Jeff (I love this kid!), Jason, Mallory, Catcher, Lindsey, Luc, are all a major part of why I've come to love this series.

Other then that, damn Morgan, damn Celina, and damn Darius.

Plot: Simply enthralling. Suspense is there throughout the book, but things happened too smoothly at times to truly be believable, like the calm before the storm. And the quote, "If things seem too good to be true, they probably are" was certainly true for this book.

Writing Style: The story just flows from scene to scene, page to page, and the romance, action, and narration are all perfectly balanced to keep the entire book interesting till the end. I don't think I was bored at all during the book, and that's extremely rare. The ending was especially well done, really unexpected, and altogether heartbreaking.

Favorite quotes:

“You can run. You can keep running to the ends of the earth. But I won’t be far behind you.”

“I’m afraid,” I finally confessed.
“I know.” His voice was quiet. “I know, and it kills me that I put that fear into your eyes.”

"Ethan."