Darkfever (Fever #1) - Karen Marie Moning A million times better the second time around!

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect because I've never reread a series before and was afraid it'd end up being boring or uninteresting. Nothing could have been farther from the truth. Not only did I enjoy reading Darkfever again, I loved it a lot more because I started appreciating the details I was too confused to notice the first time I read this series. If Darkfever is any indication, this reread is going to be an unforgettable experience.

I find Mac very, very easy to relate to. She's a lot like me and maybe that's why I've always loved her, even in the beginning when she's carefree and more than a little frivolous. Throughout the reread, I felt terribly sad for Mac because I already know what's ahead of her and it's heart-wrenching to know that the untroubled girl we see now will soon be replaced by a serious and mature woman.
Barrons had called me Ms. Rainbow the night we'd robbed Mallucé. Despite his disparaging tone, I'd liked the nickname. But rainbows needed sunshine to exist, and there hadn't been a lot of that in my world lately.

Barrons is just...he's indescribable. His personality, emotions, past, everything about him is enigmatic and he's the most intriguing character I've ever come across. I really appreciate how KMM allows us to come to terms with Barrons's character on our own and doesn't force us to love him by having Mac lust after him blindly. She describes him in stirring detail and lets us decide whether he's truly worth trusting.
He wasn't handsome. That was too calm a word. He was intensely masculine. He was sexual. He attracted. There was an omnipresent carnality about him, in his dark eyes, in his full mouth, in the way he stood.

Due to my crappy memory, I didn't recall most of the plot. Which actually ended up working to my advantage because not only did I immensely enjoy reading this, I found the mystery surrounding Barrons's identity, the old woman's allegations, Alina's killer, and V'lane's allegiance just as suspenseful as it was the first time I read this series.

My Mini-Interview for Darkfever:

What's the first thought you had when you heard there'd be a Fever Reread?

I thought: BARRONS!!! And then I thought, since I've never done a reread before, what if I ended up hating it? And what if that ruins my love for the series for good?? Oh noes!!

At what point did Barrons start wanting more from Mac than just her ability to sense things?

I believe it was more of a gradual process than a single instant, but I think that change is first evident in this scene:
I slammed into the side of a stack of pallets that gave about as much as a brick wall. My head snapped back and pain ricocheted through my skull. I heard things in me crack.
"Mac!" I heard Barrons shout.
I slumped down the plastic-shrouded wall, thinking how weird it sounded, him calling me Mac. He'd only ever called me Ms. Lane.

Do you find V’lane attractive? Explain your answer.

I do, in a strange, hypnotic way. His physical descriptions make him beautiful, but I actually like(d) the way he talks and acts too. It's not like he means to be dangerously irresistible; that's just who he is. So as far as Darkfever is concerned, I like him. How I feel about him later on is another story altogether, one I'll probably be discussing in my reviews for the next four books.

Which is your favorite scene from the book?

That scene at the end, when Mac's arm is in a cast and she can't do her mani so she blackmails Barrons into doing it for her. I laughed so hard reading that, both times. It's indisputably my favorite scene.

How would you describe this book in 2 words?

Jericho Barrons.

I kid, I kid.

Extraordinarily complex.

What was your favorite quote from the whole book?
"You, Ms. Lane, are a menace to others! A walking, talking catastrophe in pink!"

------------------------

Originally read on: July 16, 2010
Initial rating: 3 stars

**Fever Reread July 2012!!**

Along for the ride are:

Anzu (you can read her review here),
Aly (you can read her review here),
Alky (you can read her review here),
Brittany (you can read her review here),
Jesse (you can read her review here),
and ME!

It's been exactly two years since I first started this series. What better way to celebrate than to experience the fever all over again?

For more reviews, visit my blog.