Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne For the past few weeks, I've been viewing Mockingjay as a bomb about to go off, but while it wasn't quite that bad, I wasn't entirely off the mark either. I'm still recovering from the wringer this series put me through.

Which is why I've been suffocating hugging my parrot for the past couple of hours.

You know when you take a month-long vacation you've been planning for ages and it's all you'd wished for and more, but at the end of the trip, you're still the happiest and most relieved when you get home, albeit sad to be returning to the same boring routine? That's what reading this trilogy has been like for me. I checked out of reality for a while, and now that I've finished this series, I'm glad to be back in my own comfort zone again, but this was a trip I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I admit that I disliked a few things about Mockingjay. However, this book made me feel so many powerful emotions that they overshadow all my misgivings. If it had all been flowers and cotton candy, I doubt this series would have ever lived to its potential. Hunger Games isn't meant to be a fluffy read, and while reading some passages was like a punch to the gut, at least I can't blame Collins for ruining what would have otherwise been a fantastic series.
“I’m planning for you to have a long life.”

“Why?” This kind of thinking will only bring him trouble. “You don’t owe me anything.”

“Because you’ve earned it.”

Katniss is officially the strongest YA heroine I've ever come across. She even beats Rose from VA in that regard. It makes me feel like a coward admitting it, but even I wished Katniss were dead a couple of times near the ending. The trauma she has to bear, the tragic life, it all became too much to read about and I found myself getting up several times to pour myself a glass of cold water. See, that's what a good book does: makes you become so absorbed in the story, the characters, that you simply need to take a break to give your own heart a little breather.

While Hunger Games will always remain one of my most favorite YA series, I doubt I'll ever work up the courage to re-read it. My heart couldn't possibly take another beating like that, made all the worse because I know the fate of all my beloved characters now. But this series is still a far cry from hopeless. There're little bits of glitter within all the darkness; you just have to believe enough to look for them.

Favorite Quotes (MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!):

My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead. It would be best for everyone if I were dead….

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree

My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12. There is no District 12. I am the Mockingjay. I brought down the Capitol. President Snow hates me. He killed my sister. Now I will kill him. And then the Hunger Games will be over….

All these passages did break my heart and make my eyes sting, but the line that did me in was:

Strange bits of happiness, like the photo of Finnick and Annie’s newborn son.

For more reviews, visit my blog.