At Peace (The 'Burg, #2) - Kristen Ashley Rating: A very, very generous two stars.

Before I begin my rant (because that's pretty much all this review is), I'd like to clarify something: I adore Kristen Ashley. To me, she's the Walt Disney of adult fiction. Her stories are unforgettable, fulfilling, and utterly beautiful.

That being said, At Peace didn't do it for me. At all. I had a number of issues with this book, and most of them are because of the heroine, Violet.

To begin with, the relationship between Violet and Tim, her first husband, wasn't really explained that well. They were together for nearly two decades but right after she jumped into bed with another man, she barely thought about him. That's not only weird, but highly unrealistic as well.

And throughout the story, she never felt guilty about sleeping with or loving someone else. I understand about moving on, but some people you just never fully get over (especially not a little over two years later), and one of them should be your husband of 20 years. So either her relationship with Tim wasn't as perfect as is portrayed or she really didn't love him as much as she supposedly claimed. Either way, I would have appreciated the story a lot more if there had been further clarification about where exactly Violet and Tim stood as a couple.

Onto the present romance. To sum it up, I couldn't believe how Violet acted. The fuck, calling cheating and leading a poor man on as "looking out for myself" while sleeping regularly with another man, and when the former confronts you about it, having a breakdown and acting like you've been the one wronged in all of this?! Uggghhh!! This woman got on my very last nerve, I swear.

Another constant wtf moment? Whenever anyone went on and on and freakin' on about what a "prize" Violet was (I know that's a KA constant, but it really bugged me in this one). I tried hard to be forgiving and all, but a two-timing cow is a two-timing cow and that sorta wipes out a lot of the good, yes? It does as far as I'm concerned.

I only began to stop hating her after 81% (yes, I was keeping track). And I only fully stopped hating her at 97%.

Surprisingly, I didn't hate Joe all that much. I disliked him immensely but I never felt he was being two-faced (unlike a certain someone else, ahem). I eventually came to like him, but I don't think I'll ever love him.

The only highlight in this loooong book was the budding romance between Benny and Frankie. I'm absolutely ecstatic they'll be getting their own book soon. My initial plan after finishing At Peace was to give up on the rest of the series, but I'll be reading on because I'm highly interested in reading Mike and Benny's respective books. Really hope they're both better than this one.

For more reviews, visit my blog.