Finnikin of the Rock - Melina Marchetta I haven't felt this baffled after reading a book since I read Twilight and realized I was the only girl in my entire high school who hated it. But unlike with the Twilight Saga, I was pretty sure I would love Finnikin of the Rock; firstly because it's been entirely too long since I've read a true fantasy novel, and secondly because Marchetta is one of the most popular authors on GR and many reliable reviewers seem to adore her. But if Finnikin of the Rock is any indication, I won't be jumping on this particular bandwagon anytime soon.

I had one main issue with this book, and the rest stem from it: it's one the most boring stories I've ever read. The "plot" is extremely far-fetched, almost laughably so, and no visible effort is made to make it seem more plausible. Finnikin of the Rock reads like the textbook account of a supposedly astounding historical event and the normally prominent difference between the writing styles of scholars and fictional authors is next to nonexistent in this book.

Finnikin is a washed-out and pathetic version of Sir Lancelot from King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table.

There were a few parts where I genuinely felt affection for him, but they were too muddled in with the droning narration and tedious dialogue to mean anything for long.

Without a doubt, Evanjalin is the most maddening character in the book. She's a lying, cheating, conniving bitch, and even questioning her is blasphemy? That's so ridiculous, it's actually funny. Take this, for instance:
"[Evanjalin] omits rather than lies, Finnikin. For a purpose. One that will humble us each time."

Now, I'm all for girl power and everything, but are you freakin' serious? Your charity case betrays you over and over and over and over, and you aren't even allowed to be mad because she's some sort of holy being? What. The. Fuck?!

Finnikin of the Rock's synopsis describes it as a tale of friendship, betrayal, romance, pain, and loyalty, but the only feeling I felt while reading this book was ennui. I'm not sure I'll be continuing with this series, but the reviews for Froi of the Exiles have, against my better judgment, managed to pique my curiosity. I'm not sure I'll be reading anything else by Marchetta, but I'll give her one more chance with this series. It'll certainly be the last one if I don't find a significant difference between Froi of the Exiles and Finnikin of the Rock.

For more reviews, visit my blog.