Ascension - Caris Roane Rating: 3.5 stars

Review: It took me almost a week to get through this book. I simply couldn't get into the story. I tried, I really did, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't seriously consider dropping this book several times.

Alison seemed extremely needy to me, and it's understandable given the life she's led, but when it comes to her relationship with Kerrick, I really didn't see anything on her part but a simple need to belong to someone, anyone. I felt it had less to do with Kerrick and more to do with how lonely she is.

The writing style, while not as dreadful as Ward's, still managed to sound horribly choppy at times. The overused mention of scents, and the word "fucking" between every other phrase, totally got to me as well. I dare anyone to count the amount of times the word "lavender" and "cardamom" came up in this book.

The last 100 pages make up for the first half of the book, though. I started genuinely liking Alison and Kerrick and the rest of the Warriors. I'm not sure who my favorite is just yet, but I really like Santiago and Jean-Pierre. I even laughed a few times at the jibes between the Warriors.

All those negative things make it sound like I hated the book, but it's not all that bad. There's a lot of positive things about the book as well, and I like the story well enough to continue with the series. I like Havily a lot more than Alison, so hopefully, I'll enjoy Burning Skies more than I enjoyed Ascension.