Bitten - Kelley Armstrong Bitten is another enjoyable yet unoriginal addition to the urban fantasy genre. After already reading so many werewolf books, I found Bitten to be a pathetic echo of the awesomeness found in other books similar to it.

One such series is Shifters. I found glaring similarities between the two series, especially in Elena’s behavior. Elena is physically quite strong, but manages to be uber-stupid when it comes to her love life. She’s a rarity in the supernatural world, being the only female werewolf (just like Faythe is the only unmarried tabby in her pack, which makes her invaluable), and she’s in love with Clay but refuses to give up her “normal” life for him (Faythe’s relationship with Marc), and she has a perfect yet boring relationship with a normal human being (Andrew). There are many other similarities too, but I still enjoyed Shifters a lot more than Bitten, mostly because I liked Faythe half the time, and I hated Elena most the time.

My main problem with Elena is the way she treated Clay. She slept with him, woke up, regretted it, ate the breakfast he made for her, then ignored him, refused to talk, made baseless accusations, slept with him anyway, and on and on, for pretty much the entire book. She is blindly stubborn, and refuses to face the truth. That screams of cowardice to me, and I really couldn’t stand this part of Elena. Her anger is understandable at first, but after being with Clay and seeing how much he cares for her, her arguments against the guy were absolutely ridiculous, and even though she knew it, she still refused to grow up and admit it. She’s stubborn to the point of absurdity, and it’s irritating to read about.

It takes Elena the last 30-some pages to finally admit that she loves Clay enough to do anything in the world for him. Watching her endless denials were bad enough, but 400 pages of hearing her lie to herself and everyone else around her were unbearable. I despise how weak she is when it comes to her emotions. Elena should have admitted her feelings, or better yet – accepted them, long before she’s pretty much forced to do it in light of the circumstances.

At least we get a swoon-worthy hero. Clay has a huge behavior problem (not that it seems like much of a “problem” to me), but seeing him struggle to be a better and even-tempered person for Elena’s sake is just too cute. And he’s an expert cook too! He can definitely bite me anywhere, anytime!

So basically, if Elena hadn’t been so ridiculously pathetic with her emotions and acted like a grown-up, I would have enjoyed this book a lot more. But I have a feeling that Elena will develop into a better heroine as the series progresses, so I won't give up on Women of the Otherworld just yet.