A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, Book 1) - Allison Pang
I had a naked incubus in my bedroom. With a frying pan of half-cooked bacon, and a hard-on. And a unicorn bite on his ass. Christ, this was turning out to be a weird morning.

As far as first books in a series go, this one was fantastic. Most of the less-than-popular UF series I've read that don't classify as erotica tend to be a bit on the emotionless side. The plot is usually great, but the heroine is always too stoic and serious to be likable and there's very little of the hero in the first installment.

Fortunately, neither case is true in A Brush of Darkness. Abby is an amazingly witty and snarky bad-ass who is emotionally scarred but manages to be strong anyway, and even Brystion has a great dose of feeling in him. He doesn't hump every female he comes across, despite being an incubus, and seems to actually be looking for a loving relationship instead of a one-night fuck. And the man can cook! What more could you ask for?? He manages to be perfect without seeming cliched in the least.

What starts off as a light, quick read quickly turns into something a lot more deep and serious as we find out how the disappearances of Abby's "employer", friend, and Brystion's sister are all connected to Abby. The ending is startling, but in a "how-could-I-have-missed-it" kind of way. I really look forward to reading A Silver of Shadow and finding out more about Abby's adventures with Phin, the miniature perverted unicorn, and Brystion.